Do I receive a salary while doing the specialist training program?

No, the specialist training position is an unpaid position.

Are there any scholarships I can apply for?

Sahlgrenska I.C. does not offer any scholarships. Please refer to the education authority in your home country or to international voluntary associations.

How long does it take to learn Swedish?

It is individual, but it normally takes between eight and twelve months to reach the required level.

I have clinical experience in my specialist field from my home country. Can this experience be counted in the specialist training programme?

No, the clinical work needs to be supervised and performed in Sweden.

What type of certificate will I receive upon completion of the specialist training programme?

Upon completion of the specialist training program, a Completion of Swedish Specialist Medical Training certificate, issued by Sahlgrenska University Hospital, will be awarded. The Resident will also be eligible to apply for a Completion of Postgraduate Training certificate, issued by the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare. This will not entitle the holder to practice the medical profession in Sweden.

Can I work in Sweden after I have received my specialist degree?

No, the specialist certificate issued by the hospital will not give you the right to work in Sweden, unless you have a Swedish medical licence.

Can I finance my training program privately?

No, you need to have a financial sponsor from your home country, such as a public authority, ministry, hospital or similar.

Can I do a PhD degree while doing my specialist training program?

There are research components included in the training program. If you are interested in more in-depth studies, enrolling in a PhD program might also be possible. This requires another four years of full-time studies. For questions about PhD studies, please contact the Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg.

I will graduate as a doctor this year, am I eligible for specialist training?

No. A minimum of two years of clinical experience (full-time) is required after graduation. Internship is not counted as part of this clinical experience.

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience. If you continue to use this site, you accept the use of cookies, Read more.