Previous experience and conditions to fulfil in order to be eligible to apply:
- Applicants must have earned an M.D. degree from a recognized medical school and be registered as a medical practitioner and authorized to practice medicine in his/her home country.
- Applicants must have at least two years of documented clinical experience of independent work at a hospital. (Internship is counted.)
The specialist training programme can only be offered on condition that there is a public sponsor/employer in the resident’s home country accepting to defray all related costs: tuition fee and living expenses in Sweden. The sponsor may be a public authority, government ministry, hospital or similar. The content and conditions of the training programme will be specified in a formal agreement between the sponsor and Sahlgrenska I.C.
The specialist training position is an unpaid position. Sahlgrenska I.C. does not offer any scholarships. Private financing is not possible.
Fill out our application form and send it to us along with the following:
- Certified copies of university transcripts (an authorized translation into English must be enclosed if the documents are issued in any other language).
- The copies must be certified by an official authority, a Swedish Embassy/Consulate or a Notary Public. Do not send originals.
- A statement of purpose – a letter from the applicant stating clinical and research interest, ambitions, desires and professional goals.
- Three letters of recommendation from recognized scientific or clinical medical institutions.
- Preliminary letter of sponsorship from sponsor.
- One photograph.
- English Language Certificate.
The requirements are: A good command of English, documented by an internationally recognized proficiency test such as: TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or equivalent. TOEFL total score 575 and 4.5 on written test (paper based) or a total score of 90 and 20 on written test (Internet based test). IELTS with an overall mark of at least 6.5 and no band less than 5.5. This is applicable only if the applicant is from a country where English is not the native language.
- A certified copy of your licence to practise medicine.
- A certified copy of your passport.
Please send your application by mail to
P.O. Box 7163
SE-402 33 Gothenburg
or if sent by courier, to
413 90 Gothenburg
If we decide to proceed with your application, we will send you an invitation to a personal interview, which will be held at the relevant medical department at Sahlgrenska University Hospital in Gothenburg. The visit is mandatory and comprises an introductory information meeting and an interview with the head of department, programme director and supervisor. The visit will also give you the opportunity to conduct an extended study visit/clinical observership for one to three days depending on the needs and availability of the department.
If you are offered a position on the specialist training programme, we will issue a formal letter of acceptance for the speciality concerned and send it to you and/or your sponsor.